The age old saying "Home is where your heart is" has been marinating in my head the past couple days. I consider myself a lucky person because I can call three places home. Los Angeles- The place where I was born and raised which comforts me with familiarity. New York- The place where I have spent many Summers fueling my ambitions and dreams. and Vienna- The place where my heart always longs to be. And now Firenze- the place where.... well we'll see in a couple of months! But I've come to realize that home is not a place.
Home cannot be justified to be coordinates on a map or three lines on a GPS- or else I'd be there in a heart beat. I do feel blessed that my soul has been spread and deposited into several different pockets of the world. So as I'm reflecting on my life, and the places that hold it, I'm realizing that I am 3 distinct people. That these places and the people in these places have shaped the way that I am. Building your life in a new city is so exhilarating and exhuasting- but the act of carving out a new life for yourself contrains a magically intrinsic feeling.
I think I'm realizing that there will always be a part of me that is far away from its home and is lying passively until I am present in the city where it belongs. Living in Florence is beautiful, thrilling , and it's shown me that I can be who I want - on my own terms. Im so grateful for this opportunity because it's given me the gift of freedom, of new beginnings, of curiosity and excitement. I'm currently suffering from jet lag and lying awake but I've come to terms that I can't be in two places at once and my heart is here in Firenze.
No comments:
Post a Comment